The section Unit 1: is not currently available.
Fundamentals of: optics, interference, diffraction polarization, wave-particle duality,
semiconductors and magnetism.
To teach students basic concepts and principles of physics, relate them to laboratory experiments
and their applications
On completion of the course, learner will be able to–
- Develop understanding of interference, diffraction and polarization; connect it to few
- Learn basics of lasers and optical fibers and their use in some applications.
- Understand concepts and principles in quantum mechanics. Relate them to some
- Understand theory of semiconductors and their applications in some semiconductor
- Summarize basics of magnetism and superconductivity. Explore few of their
- Comprehend use of concepts of physics for Non Destructive Testing. Learn some
properties of nano-materials and their application.
Labs and Practicals
Suggested List of Laboratory Experiments (Any eight):
- Experiment based on Newton’s rings (determination of wavelength of monochromatic light,
determine radius of curvature of plano-convex lens)
- To determine position of diffraction minima by studying diffraction at a single slit
- To determine unknown wavelength by using plane diffraction grating
- To find out Resolving power of Diffraction Grating/Telescope
- To verify Malus Law
- Any experiment based on Double Refraction (Determination of refractive indices, identification
of types of crystal)
- Any Experiment based on Laser (Thickness of wire, determination of number of lines on grating
- An experiment based on optic fibers
- To study IV characteristics of Solar Cell and determine parameters (fill factor and efficiency)
- To determine band gap of given semiconductor
- To determine Hall coefficient and charge carrier density
- Temperature dependence characteristics of semiconductor laser
- To find out Magnetic susceptibility of given material
- Ultrasonic Interferometer: Determination of velocity of ultrasonic waves in given liquid and find
Suggested Demonstration Experiments:
- Michelson interferometer
- Half shade Polarimeter
- Determination of absorption coefficient of sound of given material
- Temperature dependence
- Brewster’s law
- Measurement of sound pressure level
Ask your doubts regarding the subject here. Discuss exam strategies, scores and latest trends in this forum.