Term work shall consist of:
Two design projects on Assemblies covering above syllabus. The design project shall consist of half imperial sheets (A2 size) involving assembly drawing with a bill of material and overall dimensions and drawings of individual
components. The Project should be assigned to a group of three to five students.
Project 1 shall be based on any one of the following topics
- i) Cotter joint/ knuckled joint/turn buckle for a specified application.
- ii) Transmission Shaft/Machine tool spindles/coupling for specified application.
- iii) Hand or foot operated levers/lever for safety valve.
Project 2 shall be based on any one of the following topics
- i) Bench vice/Machine vice for specified applications.
- ii) Bottle type/toggle jack for vehicles.
- iii) Lead screw for machine tool/other applications.
Manufacturing tolerances, surface finish symbols and geometric tolerances should be
specified for important surfaces. A design report giving all necessary calculations of the
design of components and assembly should be submitted in a separate file. Design data
book shall be used wherever necessary for selection of standard components.
Drawings of design project should be done manually.
The assignment shall be internally presented in the form of power point presentation, by a
group of three to five students. A report of assignment (Max 8 to 10 pages) along with print out
of ppt is to be submitted. Each student shall complete any two of the following assignments,
- a) Use of dimensional tolerances, Geometrical tolerances and surface finish symbols in
machine component drawings.
- A. Selection of materials using weighted point method.
- B. Selection of manufacturing methods for machine elements designed in any one of the
above design projects.
- C. Theories of failures and their applications.